[Sca-cooks] Jellied Milk - straight from the Baroness' pen!

Lady Ro ladyro at comcast.net
Mon Oct 3 16:47:45 PDT 2005

and I quote verbatim from the Fair Cordelia, lily of Bright Hills, and
stalwart of the Cook's Guild when we let her take her coronet off.

***
Lady Ro,

    For you anything, for that Stefan fellow, who knows.

    I came across the recipe in Banquetting Stuffe, edited by C. Anne
Wilson; a compilation of papers from the first Leeds Symposium on Food
History and Traditions.

The recipe is attributed to Thomas Dawson, The Good Huswifes Jewell, 1596,
p. 19.

The redaction reads as follows:

     5 tsps gelatine
     1 pint milk
     4 ounces sugar
     5 tsp rosewater.

Sprinkle the gelatine onto 4 tablespons of the milk in a cup.  Leave for 5
minutes before standing the cup in hot water until it is completely
dissolved.  Warm the remaining milk, stir in the gelatine and sugar, and
simmer, stirring continuously for 5 minutes.  Remove from heat, stir in the
rose water and pour into a shallow baking dish [extraneous directions
edited] allow to set before cutting into one inch cubes.

I have taken liberties with this recipe by changing the flavoring agent to
almond and mint with great success, though I only use about 1 1/2 teaspoons
as extracts are much more concentrated in flavor than is rosewater.

C.

****

there you have it - The Stuff that Made Bright Hills Famous - Simply Because
It Tastes So Good.

Ro

I know in my heart that man is good, that what is right will alway
eventually triumph and there is a purpose and worth to each and every life.