[Sca-cooks] Food commentary

kingstaste at mindspring.com kingstaste at mindspring.com
Thu Oct 13 04:51:28 PDT 2005

As I've said, I belong to a CSA that does organic produce.  There is a
fellow that is also a member of the group that does weekly postings about
the boxes as they come in, and what he does with them.  I loved the comments
below, and thought I'd share.
Christianna

	"The box today included winter squash, red and white radishes,
multi-coloured peppers, a load of arugula, pears, a pretty head of
fancy lettuce. I ate one of each colour radish raw, great! Added
some radishes to roasting potatoes with garlc, kosher salt, olive
oil. Lubricious, salicious, texture of just married sex with hashish
and a winning lottery ticket.
	I have been leaning on Cornish game hens for dinners with company
of late. The ease of preparation is unbeatable. Brine hens, 400*
oven, cast-iron pan, roast for one hour. Shove pear up hen butt or
get fancy and stuff with duck confit, bread crumbs, and whatever
herb is handy from the garden. Serve with brussel sprouts browned in
olive oil, then simmered in chicken stock with shallots for twenty
minutes. Steamed okra with sweet and hot peppers will make middle-
aged company grateful. Serve with simmered turnips for a change of
pace and taste.
   When in doubt, you probably haven't added enough garlic."