[Sca-cooks] Foods native to Britain before the Romans came

kingstaste at mindspring.com kingstaste at mindspring.com
Tue Oct 25 08:12:41 PDT 2005

Dear Cooks,
	I am putting together one of my last two classes for my Roman Britain
class.  This week we are talking about Samhain, and next week is the Roman
Banquet.  One of the homework assignments is for them to select a food to
bring.  I have a list of foods introduced to Britain by the Romans, but I
don't have a good list of what was native before they arrived.  My Hagen
books have not made it home yet, so I need some help here.
	Here are the lists I have:

	Foods introduced to Britain by the Romans
		Pheasants, peacocks, guinea fowl, fallow deer
		Apples, grape vines, fig, walnut, medlar, mulberry, damsons, pears, plums,
cultivated 		cherries, sweet chestnut
		Parsley, borage, dill, fennel, mint, thyme, garlic, leek, onion, shallot,
rosemary, 		sage, savory, sweet marjoram, radish, thyme
		Turnips, cabbages, lettuce, endive, peas, lentils, carrots, artichokes,
cucumber, 			asparagus, parsnip, celery

	Imported Commodities
		Dates, almonds, olives, wine, olive oil, pine nuts,
		fish sauce (liquamen or garum), pepper, ginger, cinnamon

	Foods native to Britain before the Romans
		Hazelnuts,

and now I'm stuck.
Help?

Christianna