[Sca-cooks] Blown Sugar is Chinese Apparently

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Tue Oct 25 15:42:48 PDT 2005

Ok, we have had numerous discussions over the past few
years regarding blowing sugar/blown sugar and was it appropriate
or not for our feasts.

Here's a new angle to the discussion.

Earlier today this message came across the SCA Subtleties
List---
-------------------------
since the current subject is sugar, I thought I might mention this. I
had seen a show about a historical recreation city in China that
showed a man making blown sugar candy/toys. Supposedly it
was "period" for them. I did a little research on the web and found
this article:
http://www.chinatoday.com.cn/English/e2004/e200406/p50.htm

I have no idea on what the source might be that the blown sugar is
from the 8th century AD in China. Just thought people might find this
interesting. Darka (janeravenswood)
------------
The article reads in part:
The Last of the Candy Men -- Master of Blown Candy
by staff reporter Yuan Ye

They boil sugar and water until it thickens, take a dollop and knead it
into a hollow ellipsoid. One end has a long tail with a pinhole into
which they blow, turning it around so as to fashion it into the required
shape. Within one minute the raw candy is transformed into an animal.

This is the craft of candy-blowing; its masters are called candy men.

The article continues: The Blown Candy Craft

The art of blown candy is believed to have originated during the Song
Dynasty (960-1279), but Wang Tongguo thinks it may have begun three
centuries earlier in the Tang Dynasty (618-907). "That's one reason why
the craft is called tang ren," he jokes. The character for Tang
(referring to the dynasty) in Chinese is pronounced the same as that for
candy, and ren means person, in this sense referring to the
craftsperson. The two words name the craft and are also an abbreviated
form of address for its masters.

The birthplace of blown candy is, as Wang proudly confirms, his hometown
of Dezhou in Shandong Province.
------------
I thought it was interesting but was skeptical about the dates.
So I forwarded the article in part to Phlip to see what
Paul Buell, and Gene N. Anderson might have to say.

This was the response:

All I can confirm is that it is indeed "believed to have originated
  during the Song Dynasty."  I wouldn't be surprised to find it started
  in Tang in Dezhou.  But Dezhou doesn't produce sugar, so maybe
  farther south is likely.
  best--Gene

So folks--
I guess we have a probable source for blown sugar candy in China during
the Song
Dynasty. (Northern Song 960–1279) and (Southern Song 1127-1279).

Of course the question still remains – did this make its way to the West
and when?

Johnnae llyn Lewis