[Sca-cooks] Blown Sugar is Chinese Apparently

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Tue Oct 25 20:37:23 PDT 2005

Pure speculation on my part, but consider that blown glass appears to have
originated around 50 BCE (possibly in the Roman Empire) and that it was
transmitted to China by Persian glassblowers between the 2nd and 3rd
Centuries.  It may be that sugarblowing is an offshoot of glassblowing that
occurred when sugar became plentiful and available and candymakers and
glassblowers were in close proximity.

There is a very good chance that sugarblowing was developed independently in
China and Europe and that differences in the availability of sugar account
for the temporal differences in sugarblowing.

I haven't worked on the veracity of the dates, so take this with a grain of
salt.

Bear

<clipped>