[Sca-cooks] dormouses

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Oct 26 21:38:11 PDT 2005

Vitha asked:
> I am planning on doing a rendition of the dormouse recipe
> in Aspicius using beef instead of Mouse, seeing that the
> current supply of "quality dormouse" is in short supply.
>   I want to make it clear to my diners that they are eating
> beef, but I want them to have the "fun" of eating
> dormouse.
>
> Suggestions on the write up?

I don't have an answer to this except adding some parenthetical
phrase about "X has been substituted for dormouse". I suspect that
very few of your feasters even know what a dormouse is.

For a bit more info on dormouse (dormice?) see this file in the FOOD-
MEATS section of the Florilegium:
exotic-meats-msg  (79K) 10/13/04    Period and SCA exotic meats.
Swans, ostrich,
                                        crawfish, dormice, cat.

Stefan
--------