[Sca-cooks] To oil or not to oil?

Volker Bach carlton_bach at yahoo.de
Sun Oct 2 10:59:45 PDT 2005

Salvete

I've returned victorious from a flea market expedition, having secured a very
cheap set of wooden butter moulds (one for about a pund, the other for
individual plate setting patties).

(Do you have butter moulds in the US? Basically, it's a wooden mould with
decorative patterns into which the butter is pressed, then turned out onto a
plate. The small patty version even has an ejection mechanism. This used to
be popular in Germany, though it's hardly ever done these days)

My question: The previous owner used these purely for decoration. If I plan to
use them for real, should I oil them before their first use? And if so, would
linseed oil be acceptable?

Thanks

Giano