[Sca-cooks] To oil or not to oil?

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Oct 2 22:19:27 PDT 2005

Giano asked:
> My question: The previous owner used these purely for decoration. If
> I plan to
> use them for real, should I oil them before their first use? And if
> so, would linseed oil be acceptable?

I think what you want to use for this would be what is called "salad
bowl" oil, which is made to oil wooden dishes and not go rancid. The
oils already in the butter might be all you need for lubrication to
get the butter out of the mold, but I'm not sure that any butter
which soaked into the wood, wouldn't become rancid later.

I would suggest looking through this file in the FOOD-UTENSILS
section of the Florilegium:
wood-utn-care-msg (14K)  3/26/05    Care of utensils made of wood.

This file in the CRAFTS section might also be useful:
wood-finishes-msg (79K)  3/30/01    Period and SCA wood finishes.
Stains.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas