[Sca-cooks] jellied milk

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Oct 2 22:11:00 PDT 2005

Simon Hondy asked:
> Isn't jellied milk essentially Junket?  Jelling the milk with
> Rennet rather
> than gelatin? Just made some the other day on a lark, and said hey
> milk jello. So as I
> read this.. Hey Junket! Here is an article on Junket existing in
> the 14th century by Countess
> Elizabeth Beaufort.

I don't think I would class junket as the same as jellied milk. The
description of junket sounds more like the making of a soft, fresh
cheese. When you make cheese, you get the milk to curdle and drain
off the whey. The descriptions so far for jellied milk don't appear
to coagulate the milk. They add a binder instead and they don't
separate out the whey.

More info on junket would be nice though. Perhaps I need a junket-msg
file, but it still simply sounds like a fresh cheese, which I do have
info on, in this file as well as others:
fresh-cheeses-msg (43K)  3/28/04    Fresh cheeses such as ricotta,
cream cheese
                                        and cottage cheese. Non-aged
cheeses.

Stefan