[Sca-cooks] To oil or not to oil?

Volker Bach carlton_bach at yahoo.de
Mon Oct 3 09:16:24 PDT 2005

Am Montag, 3. Oktober 2005 16:01 schrieb Heather M:

> This is not the case here in the States. I use a similar treatment, and
> it's a combination of mineral oil and beeswax sold commercially as salad
> bowl wax. And, I might add, it's just lovely for my wooden utensils and
> bowls.

Interesting. Must be a cultural thing. If you told people here to use mineral
oil on wooden bowls they'd be shocked and disgusted. It took me a long time
to wrap my head around the idea that we aren't talking about gasoline or
motor oil. Linseed oil is sort of the default option, every woodworker I know
recommends it (some also use gun oil, though they don't like to talk about
that).

Giano