[Sca-cooks] Rice in a roaster?

Adele de Maisieres ladyadele at paradise.net.nz
Wed Oct 5 17:13:41 PDT 2005

>Has anyone ever tried doing quantities of rice (with
>meat in it) in a roaster?  Did it work?  if not, how
>about in a regular oven?  how did that work out?

I haven't done rice in a roaster (although it should work).  I _have_
done rice in a regular oven and it is by far the easiest way to do rice
for a crowd, especially if oven space is plentiful.

The procedure is basically:

Remember that rice more than doubles in volume, so be sure you have
enough pan for your rice.  Also, consider what the pan is going to
weigh.  Ideally, find pans that will let you do 8-10 cups (or less) of
rice per pan.  Pretty much any ovenproof dish is OK for this, as long as
you can cover it tightly.

Preheat the oven to 350F/180C

Put the rice in the pan with and add twice as much boiling water as
rice.  (So, if you have six cups of rice, you need twelve cups of water,
etc).   Cover the pan _tightly_ with foil.  Bake for an hour (or a bit
less if you're using a convection oven).  Take the rice out of the oven
and let it stand for ten minutes, then uncover, fluff it up with a fork
and serve.

Everything else:
Naturally, you can add salt, spices, butter, etc. to this dish.  Just
put them in the pan before you add the boiling water.  If you want to
use broth or something instead of water, that's fine too.

--
Adele de Maisieres

Habeo metrum - musicamque,
hominem meam. Expectat alium quid?