[Sca-cooks] Cheese Goo Project

Lonnie D. Harvel ldh at ece.gatech.edu
Thu Oct 6 21:33:01 PDT 2005

Greetings Serena!

Below I provide the recipe for the Cheese Goo at Danelaw, which you most
likely remember! :)

However, there are problems with this. First, it is taken from the
Savelli book. I have defended it as a starting point, and a place to
find references, but it is not, in itself, a reference. In this recipe,
I changed the ingredients to better reflect what I believe to have been
available in the Danelaw period and location. The biggest problem I have
at this point is that I have found no documentation of a cold cheese
spread being used in this period. The period reference she uses is from
a medicinal text, and it is a bit of a jump from there to the recipe she
provides. (/Leechdoms /is the source)//

 From /An Anglo-Saxon Dictionary/ by Bosworth and Toller (1898) there
comes the concept of spreads to be eaten with bread:
/*syfling,* e; /f. Food to be eaten with bread/ :-- Syflyncge
/pulmentario/ (pulmentarium /quilibet cibus extra pattern,/ Migne), Hpt.
Gl. 494, 57. Ð~r feóll ádúne wearm hláf mid his syflinge. Homl. Th. ii.
136, 18. Sind ða twá gesetnyssa, dæt is sealmsang and witegung, swylce
hi syflinge w&aelig-acute;ron tó ðám fíf berenum hlífum, ðæl is tó itám
fíf &aelig-acute;lícum bócum, i. 188, 19. v. sufel, /and two preceding
word/ s.

/There is also a reference to "Cyse and drygne hláf -  cheese and dry
bread, L. M. 2, 26; Lchdm. ii. 278, 21" but there is no inference here
that it refers to a spread.

Still working on that one. It does taste good, however. :)

Cheese Spread

	batch
White wine vingegar 	T 	1
pepper 	t 	0.5
salt 	t 	0.5
parsley 	t 	1
marjoram 	t 	1
cream cheese 	oz 	8
cottage cheese 	oz 	8

Mix it all together. Add seasonings to taste. Don't blend it until all
of the chunks are gone. Chunks are good!

I will let you know if I find more convincing documentation.

Aoghann