[Sca-cooks] (OT sort of) Soft cheese and dry bread

Terri Morgan nothingbutadame at inthe.sca.org
Sun Oct 9 11:13:24 PDT 2005

As I was sitting down to one of my favourite snacks, pretzels & blue cheese
dressing, it occurred to me that many times I'd read of a period person, "he
sat down to soft cheese and bread..." and that got me to thinking of the
American passion for crunchy-carb things and well, a soft-cheese thing
(dips, cream cheese, dressings).
   I guess things have only changed a little - we found potatoes to fry to
replace hard bread and crackers. But really, in a free-floating comparison
of "our" food vs "their" food, this rather tickled me.

Mind you, I didn't look at the idea too closely.
Maybe football season and the need to buy crackers & cheese brought it up,

Hrothny