[Sca-cooks] About Trader Joe's

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Oct 8 20:47:47 PDT 2005

Gunthar mentioned:
> I really miss Trader Joe's in Phoenix. It was fun.
> Although I have to admit that Central Market has it beat. But Central
> Market is kind of mixed feelings for me considering I almost got a
> job there.

I understand your mixed feelings about Central Market, but you may be
one of the few who has experience at both Central Market and Trader
Joes, although both seem to be expanding their territory.

While I've spent a fair amount of time at both the original (North
Austin) and the second (South Austin) Central Markets, I've never
been to a Trader Joes, although I've heard them mentioned a number of
times on this list. I'd appreciate a comparison of the two. You can
spend an awfully large amount of money at Central Market, but the
items are not necessarily overpriced, just exotics or very good
quality meat and cheeses and such. But you can easily spend $150 and
end up with many fewer grocery sacks than at HEB or other grocery
store. Is this true at Trader Joes? How do they compare on their
types of products?

Thanks,
    Stefan
--------