[Sca-cooks] Brussels sprouts was Re: Sca-cooks Digest, Vol 29, Issue 12

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Mon Oct 10 07:38:40 PDT 2005

Sorry about the delay in answering, but I didn't have a connection to the
Web at KWCS.

While this sounds like brussels sprouts, is it?  Has anyone experimented
with Menagier's instructions to see what happens?  Since all forms of
cabbage are variants of Brassica oleracea and grow from seed is this really
brussels sprouts (B. oleracea v. gemmifera) or is it a sprout of another
variant that can be prepared as brussels sprouts are?

Brussels sprouts are believed to be a mutation of B. oleracea capitata L.
sabuda (savoy cabbage) and are true breeding, so I have my doubts about
Menagier producing brussels sprouts by this method.

Bear