[Sca-cooks] Brussels sprouts was Re: Sca-cooks Digest, Vol 29, Issue 12

Cindy Renfrow cindy at thousandeggs.com
Mon Oct 10 09:37:58 PDT 2005

I was wondering when you'd say that, Bear.  ;-)

He's describing replanting the stem once the main head/leaves have been
harvested in order to coax the axillary buds of B. oleracea to grow.
And yes, I think his experiment will work, though I haven't tried it. I
think it requires a mild climate.
http://food.oregonstate.edu/faq/uffva/brussels2.html says: "Dalechamp,
1587, described how early cabbage, after the true head is removed, will
frequently develop small cabbages in the leaf axils and gave this form
the name B. capitata polycephalos."

> >or is it a sprout of another variant that can be prepared as brussels
> sprouts are?

It is a sprout of whatever variety of B. oleracea he was using that can
be prepared in the same manner as brussels sprouts, yes.

 >Brussels sprouts are believed to be a mutation of B. oleracea capitata
L. sabuda (savoy cabbage) and are true breeding,  <snip>

I know I'm going to get pounced on here, but… Could not one also say
that the mutant was originally selected merely for its growth habit of
producing many more of the desirable sprouts per stalk than the mother
plant, but that the mutation was otherwise identical to the mother? The
only difference being their growth habit, not their flavor?

Cindy