[Sca-cooks] Brussels sprouts was Re: Sca-cooks Digest, Vol 29, Issue 12

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Mon Oct 10 20:35:51 PDT 2005

No pouncing, because I think the entire question worth serious
consideration.

We know that cabbage sprouts were eaten and that carving the head and
replanting the stem may cause small cabbages to develop in the leaf axils
(where the leaves join the stem).  This is a manipulation which produces a
cabbage stalk which is similar to brussels sprouts, but is not.  If such a
manipulation could produce a cabbage that would reproduce from seed, then
that would be an acquired trait and Lamarckian evolution would be the in
thing.  Because Menagier is talking manipulation rather than growth from
seed, I tend to think his cabbage sprouts were not brussels sprouts.

Most head cabbages are close to the ground, so the stem is short.  Brussels
sprouts have a long stem with a leafy top.  The original mutation was
probably axils that produced sprouts rather than leaves and a slightly
elongated stalk.  Such a cabbage would likely be bred to produce a lighter
head and a longer stalk to increase the yield.  Since there is no evidence,
I may be very wrong in my opinion.

Just for fun, here is a sight with both a period illustration and a
photograph of B. oleracea v. gemmifera.

http://www.biologie.uni-hamburg.de/b-online/schaugarten/vargemmifera/Br_Sprout.html

Bear