[Sca-cooks] Sumac recipes request

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 10 08:11:44 PDT 2005

Giano wrote:
>  >Sumaqiyya, IIRC from the 'Description of Familiar Foods' contains sumac, and
>  >Milh Mutayyab from both that source and al-Baghdadi can. I also think there
>  >is something the the Ni'Namatma (sp?) - that Malwan cookbook. Haven't been

Lucrezia queried:
>  Thanks. Could you give me the cookbooks' modern sources please.

The Book of the Description of Familiar Foods and a better
al-Baghdadi (same old Arberry translation, but with Charles Perry's
updates in footnotes) are both in the inestimable "Medieval Arab
Cookery", one of my favorite period cookbook sources (because there
are several cookbooks in this one book)

Medieval Arab Cookery
by Maxime Rodinson, A.J. Arberry & Charles Perry
(and especially Charles Perry - who wrote many essays, translated two
cookbooks, and footnoted Arberry's old translation which is fraught
with errors)
Devon, England: Prospect Books, 2001.

BTW, Charles Perry will be publishing real soon a new translation of
al-Baghdadi from the original (whoopey!).

The Ni'matnama is "a bit" expensive for those not dedicated to
"oriental" cuisine or who are not compulsive period cookbook buyers
(circa $125 US). It is a (comparatively) recently published Indian
cookbook with some Persian content,

The Ni'matnama Manuscript of the Sultans of Mandu:
The Sultan's Book of Delights
translated by Norah M. Titley.
London & New York: RoutledgeCurzon, 2005.

--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita