[Sca-cooks] Seekin Recipe ideas

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Mon Oct 10 09:32:01 PDT 2005

wildecelery at aol.com wrote:

> The Student Groups at dartmouth College is hosting a small feast 20-40
> poeple on Novemeber 12. The feastocrat is hoping to do a Christmas or
> Yulke theme... does anyone have simple recipes with solid
> documentation that are inexpensive to prepare, easy to find the
> ingredients for, and simple to vary the quantity on?
>
> -Ardenia
>

> (Just helping wiht the recpie search)

One of my favorites for a feast at this time of the year is Pork Brawn.
It's a late-period dish that was customarily served at Twelfth
Night...it can be prepared ahead of time (in fact, it has to be) and,
depending on the price of boneless pork loin, can be relatively
inexepensive. I got my recipe out of "Dining with William Shakespeare",
and the original came from Thomas Dawson, /The good Huswifes Jewell./

*A Collar of Brawn and Mustard
(Pickled Pork with Mustard Sauce)*

1 1/2 # piece of boned loin of Pork
1/3 yard of cheesecloth
2 1/2 cups veal or chicken broth
2 cups dry white wine
3 bay leaves
1 nutmeg, broken up
1/2 tsp.. thyme
1/2 tsp. rosemary
1/2 tsp. marjoram
1 1/2 tsp. salt

Remove all but a thin covering of fat from the pork. Roll the meat up
tightly in the cheesecloth and tie it as you would a roast, then make
knot in the cheesecloth at each end.

Put the broth, one cup of wine and the seasonings into a two-quart
saucepan with a tight-fitting lid and bring to a boil. Add the pork
roll, lower the heat to simmer, and cook, covered, until a fork will
easily penetrate the meat—2 - 2 ½ hours. Remove the meat form the
cooking broth and put it into a glass or stainless steel bowl. Pour the
second cup of wine over it, add the herbs from the cooking broth, and as
much of the broth as is needed to completely cover the roll. Cover the
bowl with a plastic bowl cover, set aside until cold, then refrigerate.

Marinate the pork for at elast one week, turning it once a day. To
serve, remove the cheesecloth covering and slice the meat about 1/4 in
thick. Arrange in a shallow serving dish and pour a little of the
sousing liquid over them, with some of the spices. Serve with a sauce of
prepared mustard to which a little vinegar has been added.

Original: To Sowce a Pigge: Take white Wine and a little sweet broth,
and halfe a score nutmegs cut into quarters, then take Rosemarie, Baies,
Time, and sweet margerum, and let them boyle altogether, skum them very
cleane, and when they be boyled, put them in an earthen pan, and the
syrup also, and when yee serve them, a quarter of a pig in a dish, and
the Bays and nutmegs on the top. – Thomas Dawson, /The good Huswifes
Jewell./

Lorwin, Madge. /Dining with William Shakespeare,./