[Sca-cooks] New Thanksgiving Cookbook

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Oct 10 22:49:00 PDT 2005

> Johnna Holloway wrote:
>
> > Another new cookbook--
> > http://www.plimoth.org/givingthanks/
> > This fall, Plimoth Plantation is pleased to announce a delicious
> > exploration of Thanksgiving for lovers of history, tradition and
> > great food with a brand new book from Calrkson Potter
> > (a division of Random House) entitled: "Giving Thanks: Thanksgiving
> > Recipes and History, from Pilgrims to Pumpkin Pie."
> >
> > In "Giving Thanks," Plimoth Plantation's Food Historian,
> > Kathleen Curtin and independent food historian, Sandy Oliver
> > trace the history of the holiday, from the real story of
> > the "First Thanksgiving" to the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade and
> > beyond.
> > The second half of Giving Thanks brings these stories to life
> > through 60 traditional and modern recipes spanning 400 years.
> >
> > Johnnae
>
> Ummmmm.....I must note here that the Thanksgiving held at Plymouth
> Plantation was not the first in this country.  Rather the first was
> held
> at Berkeley Plantation in Virginia, near Jamestown, in 1617
> (IIRC).  Not
> to denigrate the cookbook in any way...just wanted to set the facts
> straight!
>
> Kiri...who grew up in Virginia!

I seem to remember that being the case, also. However, nothing in the
above section that Johnnae quoted indicates whether Kathleen Curtin
and Sandy Oliver said Plimoth Plantation or Jamestown was the site of
the "First Thanksgiving", even if Kathleen Curtin is Plimoth
Plantation's Food Historian.

But yes, it might be wise to keep in mind that there may be a bit of
bias, just as when looking at French historic cooking books.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com