[Sca-cooks] olives vs. avocados

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Fri Oct 14 08:13:16 PDT 2005

Let's say, I think it is an olive.  It may be another fruit with which I am
unfamiliar.  The problem is not so much with the painting as with the
quality of reproduction.  Definition is lost in copying and reduction and if
the printer is heavy on the ink or sloppy, you can see details that aren't
or miss details that are.  If I were looking at the original, I might give
yet another interpretation.

It may also be that the painter oversized the fruit to enhance the realistic
perspective of the composition.

There are very large olives and very small avocados, but for commercial
purposes, the reality is bite size olives and large avocados.  I've been
looking for information on the botanical fruit sizes without much luck.
I'll find it one of these days.

Avocados are indeed New World, but they were encountered during Cortez's
conquest of Mexico and probably were brought to Spain by 1530.  We don't
know much about their use in Europe, but the word appears in English around
1697.

Bear