[Sca-cooks] Middle-Eastern 'Nibbles'?

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Oct 15 00:32:30 PDT 2005

Helen asked:
> Our Queen in Meridies is a Lady of Middle-Eastern interests.
> I have agreed to provide the table fare for the upcoming Queen's
> Rapier
> Champion Tournament.
> I am thinking of doing light fare, with tea.

Are you talking about an herbal 'tea' or the chai from China? The
latter didn't arrive in Europe or the Middle East until after 1600.
However, I have heard that many of the folks in Meridies expect tea
whether period or not. Perhaps you could do a good period cold drink
and also provide ice tea for those that must have it. And, Sekanjabin
is Middle Eastern.
tea-msg           (12K) 10/24/02    Tea, cha. When it appeared in
Europe.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/BEVERAGES/tea-msg.html
jalabs-msg        (71K)  7/ 3/04    Drinks with a sugar or honey-
syrup base such
                                        as Sekanjabin (Persian Mint
Drink).
http://www.florilegium.org/files/BEVERAGES/jalabs-msg.html

>  I am also thinking of homemade butter cookies, candied orange
> peel, and
> Something Savory (?).

candied-peels-msg (52K)  6/19/04    Candied fruit peels. A late
period treat.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/candied-peels-msg.html
mamouls-msg       (20K)  1/ 9/02    A Middle Eastern date/nut/dried
fruit filled
                                        cookie embossed with patterns.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/mamouls-msg.html
E-Arab-recip-art  (48K)  3/23/03    Early Arab recipes prior to the
13th Century
                                        by Anahita.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BY-REGION/E-Arab-recip-art.html
fd-Mid-East-msg   (48K)  7/24/02    Period food of the Middle East.
Recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BY-REGION/fd-Mid-East-msg.html
ME-revel-fds-art  (59K) 10/22/04    Medieval Middle Eastern foods
suitable for a
                                        revel or buffet w. recipes by
Anahita.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BY-REGION/ME-revel-fds-art.html