[Sca-cooks] Middle-Eastern 'Nibbles'?

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Sat Oct 15 18:06:00 PDT 2005

So the "bellaria" mentioned by Platina don't count as
spiced nuts? Even with sugar?

"There is an order to be observed in taking food, since everything that
moves the bowels and whatever is of light and slight nourishment, like
apples and pears is more safely and pleasantly eaten in the first
course. I even add lettuce and whatever is served with vinegar and oil,
raw or cooked. Then there are eggs, especially the soft-cooked kind, and
certain sweets which we call bellaria, seasoned with spices and pine
nuts, or honey, or sugar. These are served very appropriately to
guests." Platina I.16

On Sugar

"By melting it, we make almonds (softened and cleaned in water), pine
nuts, hazelnuts, coriander, anise, cinnamon, and many other things into
sweets. Platina II.15

Milham, M. trans. Platina. On Right Pleasure and Good Health. MRTS, 1998

Johnnae