[Sca-cooks] Brussels sprouts

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Sun Oct 16 09:27:07 PDT 2005

> If vague memory serves, you can get sprouts from any of the head cabbages
> under certain conditions.  B. oleracea v. gemmifera just takes the hassle
> out of producing sprouts, which is probably why the initial mutation
> survived and flourished.

I guess the point is that if this mutation simply skips the large head
phase, I'm not sure that there is a meaningful difference between baby
cabbage sprouts grown this way and brussels sprouts. I seem to remember
from my childhood my mother occasionally cutting off the main cabbage
stalk and harvesting the smaller cabbages along with her brussels
sprouts. I don't remember them tasting any different, but then I was in
the stage of development where I didn't like cabbage-type foods (thank
goodness that went away!)

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"'In this world, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.' Well, for
years I was smart. I recommend pleasant." - _Harvey_, by Mary Chase