[Sca-cooks] Beer for a Queen

Lonnie D. Harvel ldh at ece.gatech.edu
Tue Oct 18 08:52:34 PDT 2005

OK, I will be the killjoy here. I understood that SCA Insurance Policy
forbade the:

                 1. The Manufacturing of Alcohol
                 2. The Distribution of Alcohol
                 3. The Selling of Alcohol
                 4. The Serving of Alcohol
                 5. The Furnishing of Alcohol

I would love to have this demonstrated as incorrect. Especially since I
have never seen a copy of the SCA Insurance Policy.

 From the Seneschal's Handbook (
http://www.sca.org/docs/seneschals-hb.pdf  ):
Host Liquor Coverage:
Our General Liability policy provides coverage for claims relating to
the incidental use of
alcohol at events, but not if we go into the business of selling or
serving alcohol.
Specifically, (and these are the "five deadly sins") the SCA cannot
manufacture,
distribute, sell, serve, or furnish alcoholic beverages. Hence,
SCA-sponsored taverns
are prohibited. Further, SCA funds may NOT be used for the purchase of
potable
alcohol, except for that needed for use in cooking.

As I understand it (disclaimer) the Queen may server alcohol to folks at
high-table as an individual. However, a feast steward or head cook may
not serve alcohol to the attendees of a feast.

Aoghann