[Sca-cooks] Re: Almond Milk

Martha Oser osermart at msu.edu
Tue Oct 18 10:13:48 PDT 2005

Stefan wrote:

> It was my impression that this "almond cream" was more like a custard
> than like a cheese, and usually sweetened.
>
> almond-cream-msg  (28K)  6/17/04    A sweet custard filling used in
> sotelties.
> http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/almond-cream-msg.html

In reading (re-reading, really) this entry, I note the comparisons of the
almond "cream" to a custard, but that it is a kind of hard-set custard with
an eggy texture.  Perhaps soft-boiled or poached egg texture?  There are
other postings in the same entry that give it a similarity to fresh cheeses,
such as queso blanco or ricotta.  This is what leads me to wonder, if one
drains out enough of the whey after thickening the almond milk on the stove,
and it gains this somewhat soft, cheesy texture, can it be used in a way
similar to cream cheese...

Still pondering...  I guess I'll have to get me some almonds and limber up
the food processor.

 -Helena