[Sca-cooks] Beer for a Queen

Nick Sasso grizly at mindspring.com
Tue Oct 18 13:03:15 PDT 2005

<<<SNIP>>>

> Check your local laws. If they're not a problem, SCA Inc
> doesn't have a
> problem.
>
> Saint Phlip,
> CoD

Too many moons ago, I was involved with a primarily Meridian association of
brewers, vintners and supports known as the Knaves of Grain.  One of the
missions we had, and performed pretty often, was making and distributing
various styles of beers for various occasions to educate the drinking
palates of event goers.  We held the torch of responsible enjoyment of
crafted beer and mead and cordials on occasion. A coronation or two, a few
wars, and several other sundry events.

I can count off hand 6 events where one or more of our members showed up and
served beer & mead along side non-alcoholic options at the feast to any
documentably legal adult who so requested . . . from pitchers . . . to
feasters at tables.  This was just prior to, during and after the SCA
alcohol policy who-ha.  As we were not officers of the Society, not asking
payment, and not an official part of the event, the SCA policy was pretty
much satisfied.  The local and state laws at the time were leaned on a
little heavily and bent a little to make it happen, probably, but SCA policy
was otherwise clear.

All that said, we did our thing about 10 years ago in Georgia, ion our own
social and political climate.  We knew the local and state laws and acted
with informed confidence.  No matter what we did then, your time is now and
your place is where you are.  Those who remember or were near active Knaves
can rely on that history and practice of responsibility. . . if you are
looking for local officers to give you the nod of approval.

Gotta know your audience no matter what the 'letter of law' says.

niccolo difrancesco