[Sca-cooks] Beer for a Queen

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Tue Oct 18 12:51:17 PDT 2005

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> Let me be a bit more specific. I am not discussing local laws regarding
> alcohol production or distribution, these have indeed been covered in
> detail (spoke to the US feds myself on the issue). I am certainly not
> discussing the moral issues related to the consumption or provision of
> alcohol. The issue is not the use of alcohol in cooking, which is
> clearly exempted from the insurance regulations.The issue is not the
> private distribution of alcohol by individuals at an event (i.e. not
> discussiong BYOB).
>
> My question/concern is related to the specific case of serving an
> alcoholic beverage as a general option to an entire feast.

As long as the funds don't come out of SCA monies there shouldn't be a
problem (barring specific mundane local laws).

I've been to two states where this has been done- PA, and NY. In PA, I am,
of course, referring to Pennsic, where there are many parties in private
camps where the hosts donate quantities of algohol to lubricate the
proceedings. Most recently, I was staff for the Allied War Party, held in EK
Royal, and provided with home breed potables including beer, wine, and
cordials (and lots of excellent period food) by the EK Cooks Guild, the
Celtic Cocks Brewers Guild, and non-alcoholic beverages were provided by the
Herbal Guild.

In New York, at at least one of the feasts at the Barleycorn event, someone
provided a keg of something alcoholic, for all comers to indulge in- place
your mug under the tap and enjoy (dunno what it was because I had brought my
own wine). At another event, where I was cooking (Northpass Tavern) I
provided any interested parties with my Blacksmith's Cordial, as part of the
Fire course, out of my own, not Feast, funds. Probably technically I
shouldn't have done that, because as a Warranted Chirurgeon, I AM an Officer
of the Kingdom, but I rather doubt anybody really cares.

OTOH, I have been to, or heard of, other events where there were cash bars
on the premises- in the states, notably NJ, at a VFW, in PA, at a private
club with a liquor license, and in NH, at Birka, in a hotel with a private
license. I have seen in Event announcements comments about events in Canada,
where SCAdians purchase a temp liquor license and serve other SCAdians
purchased alcohol, pursuant to the laws appropriate in Canada.

Check your local laws. If they're not a problem, SCA Inc doesn't have a
problem.

Saint Phlip,
CoD

 Blacksmith's credo.