[Sca-cooks] Beer for a Queen

Lonnie D. Harvel ldh at ece.gatech.edu
Tue Oct 18 11:22:00 PDT 2005

Let me be a bit more specific. I am not discussing local laws regarding
alcohol production or distribution, these have indeed been covered in
detail (spoke to the US feds myself on the issue). I am certainly not
discussing the moral issues related to the consumption or provision of
alcohol. The issue is not the use of alcohol in cooking, which is
clearly exempted from the insurance regulations.The issue is not the
private distribution of alcohol by individuals at an event (i.e. not
discussiong BYOB).

My question/concern is related to the specific case of serving an
alcoholic beverage as a general option to an entire feast. That is, the
servers for the feast (if handled that way) come around with a pitcher
and pour it into your glass if you ask. Or, in the case of a side board,
it is provided, even by donation, as a beverage available to the general
populace (assuming only folks of age are allowed to consume). My
understanding is that this case violates the general SCA insurance
provisions and is therefore not allowed.

So, the Alcohol Fairy (yes Charlie Brown, he is real) magically deposits
17 gallons of spiced wine in the kitchen for my next feast. Am I allowed
to make it available to the feast participants in general (if of legal age)?

Aoghann