[Sca-cooks] Beer for a Queen

margaret m.p.decker at att.net
Tue Oct 18 20:25:25 PDT 2005

>> >So, the Alcohol Fairy (yes Charlie Brown, he is real) magically deposits
>> >17 gallons of spiced wine in the kitchen for my next feast. Am I allowed
>> >to make it available to the feast participants in general (if of legal
>> >age)?
>>
>> As far as I know the SCA inc forbids such service because the Alcohol is
>> provided as part of a
>> pris fixe meal, which participants have paid for, and therefore risks
>> running afoul of the US
>> Code of Federal Regulations Chapter 27.
>>

> Actually, there are ways of getting around this.  First off, no alcohol
> should be listed as
> part of the menu, so those who purchase said pris fixe meal have no
> expectation of having
> alcohol served.  Secondly, just before the meal is served, have a herald
> announce that '"Lord
> and Lady Doe" [or whomever it is] wish to give a gift to all diners over
> the age of 21 and have
> brought a keg of beer or a barrel of wine for those who wish to accept
> such a gift.  Please
> tell your drink server that you wish to accept the offer and be prepared
> to show proof of age.'
> This makes the alcohol a gift, which is allowed in the rules, not part of
> a pris fixe meal, and
> the requirement of checking ids will cover any legal worries about serving
> alcohol to minors.
>
> In my opinion, if a Queen wants diners at a banquet in her honor to have
> access to beer, she
> will have to provide it out of her own funds and give it to them as a
> gift.
>
> Huette

Here in Namron in Ansteorra we have a brewers guild who have generously
donated beer, mead, & soft drinks at our feasts for several years now. They
sit at the far end of the hall from the had table and all who wish come to
them (with proper ID) mug in hand for the gift. No Baronial funds used.
Margarite