[Sca-cooks] Natural Magick as a Culinary source?

Jeff Gedney gedney1 at iconn.net
Wed Oct 19 14:28:50 PDT 2005

Sorry I did not read that correctly....
I often get a related question from students when I mention "Roman
corn ships", such as the great ships recovered at the bottom of
Lake Nemi. So I geeked on that and missed your emphasis...

It looks like it.
The Spanish brought Indian corn to Europe quite early in the
conquest, but it remained rather a curiosity, as I understand it.
Natural Magic was first published in 1550-1560 or so, which is
late enough that he could have had soem experience with maize.
Certainly the Spanish and the Italians of Naples were in great
communication at the time, as Naples was under spanish rule at
that time for close to 100 years.
So it is possible that he got a chance to see some maize.

Capt Elias
Dragonship Haven, East
(Stratford, CT, USA)
Apprentice in the House of Silverwing

-Renaissance Geek of the Cyber Seas
- Help! I am being pecked to death by the Ducks of Dilletanteism!
There are SO damn many more things I want to try in
the SCA than I can possibly have time for.
It's killing me!!!

Upon the hempen tackle ship-boys climbing;
Hear the shrill whistle which doth order give
To sounds confused; behold the threaden sails,
Borne with the invisible and creeping wind,
Draw the huge bottoms through the furrow'd sea,
Breasting the lofty surge: O, do but think
You stand upon the ravage and behold
A city on the inconstant billows dancing;
For so appears this fleet majestical,
Holding due course to Harfleur.
  - Shakespeare - Henry V, Act III, Prologue