[Sca-cooks] Garlic

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 19 19:42:39 PDT 2005

Re comment (by Stefan, i think) on the combination of garlic and
sugar being icky...

First, in the medieval context, we have recipes that contain both ingredients.

Second, modern Thai and Indonesian recipes are often seasoned with
garlic and sweetened with sugar, and are doubtless other in cuisines
that mix sweet and garlic in recipes.

Third, check the ingredients on commercial spaghetti sauce and salad
dressing bottles - many contain both garlic and a sweetener. I don't
buy sweetened spaghetti sauce (Ragu... it's like tomato syrup on
spaghetti, yuck) and avoid excessively sweet salad dressings. There
is or may be both garlic and sweetener in commercial catsup,
commercial chili sauce, and many barbecue sauces, commercial and
homemade. I know my homemade barbecue sauce has both garlic and brown
sugar, along with hot chili paste, soy sauce, sherry, and a dash of
catsup.

Re comment on garlic almonds being icky...

Mmm-mmm-mmm, more for me :-) I much prefer savory to sweet. I assume
that person who thinks garlic almonds are eew-y also thinks smoked
almonds are eew-y... I like them, except they're usually too salty.

Urtatim / Anahita