[Sca-cooks] Garlic

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Thu Oct 20 05:12:32 PDT 2005

lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:

> Re comment (by Stefan, i think) on the combination of garlic and sugar
> being icky...
>
> First, in the medieval context, we have recipes that contain both
> ingredients.
>
> Second, modern Thai and Indonesian recipes are often seasoned with
> garlic and sweetened with sugar, and are doubtless other in cuisines
> that mix sweet and garlic in recipes.
>
> Third, check the ingredients on commercial spaghetti sauce and salad
> dressing bottles - many contain both garlic and a sweetener. I don't
> buy sweetened spaghetti sauce (Ragu... it's like tomato syrup on
> spaghetti, yuck) and avoid excessively sweet salad dressings. There is
> or may be both garlic and sweetener in commercial catsup, commercial
> chili sauce, and many barbecue sauces, commercial and homemade. I know
> my homemade barbecue sauce has both garlic and brown sugar, along with
> hot chili paste, soy sauce, sherry, and a dash of catsup.
>
> Re comment on garlic almonds being icky...
>
> Mmm-mmm-mmm, more for me :-) I much prefer savory to sweet. I assume
> that person who thinks garlic almonds are eew-y also thinks smoked
> almonds are eew-y... I like them, except they're usually too salty.
>
> Urtatim / Anahita

I very rarely purchase ready-made spaghetti sauce (though I've recently
discovered a Vodka Marinara that's pretty good...).  When I make my own,
I use a pinch of sugar in the sauce (along with all of the usual
ingredients.  The idea here is to firstly enhane the flavor of the other
ingredients and secondly to cut a bit of the acidity from the tomatoes.
I don't believe you can even taste a sweet taste to the sauce, however.

Kiri