Honey weight was (RE: [Sca-cooks] Feast Challanges/Disaster for Stefan (really long))

Nick Sasso grizly at mindspring.com
Wed Oct 19 20:51:31 PDT 2005

WARNING . . . MUCH MATH
>From mead making and lots of conversations with beekeepers . . . plus
knowledge of math and weight to volume of honey:

5 gallons honey = 60 lbs weight  ( Standard by which I base all honey math.
There is a +/- factor, but good baseline)
1 gallon honey = 12 lb
1 gallon = 16 cups

16 cups = 12 lbs honey

47 cups = 2.9375 gallons honey

2.9375 gallons X 12 lbs = 32.25 pounds

You would need about 6 1/5 of the 5-pound jugs to get where you wanted to
go!!   Find a local beekeeper and split a 60 pounder with someone and be
done with it.  What you don't use can be made into mead :o)  Figure about
$75 to $80 for the 5-gallon/60 lb pail around these parts about 5 years ago.
You made the first "Honey Feast" <vbg>

them more conversions the greater margin of error and greater the magnitude
potential . . . avoid like Black Death crossing the wieght-volume barrier
when using ounces.  My ganache recipe uses 1/2 poun of chocolate and 1 cup
cream, and 8 ounces is not 8 ounces in this formula!!

niccolo difrancesco