[Sca-cooks] Period Cooking Outdoors

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Thu Oct 20 09:12:38 PDT 2005

There are two frying pan pastries that we routinely do at
Pennsic--Musamana (The Leafy Dish) and Murakaba. For lots of people,
Murakaba makes more sense, since it is a lot less labor intensive and
faster for large quantities, being much thicker.  Both are in the
Miscellany.

Sekanjabin is easy, since you just bring the syrup and mix. If the
weather is cool, the pomegranate drink from the Andalusian cookbook
works well--just add hot water. Or the lemon drink.

Rishta should work for lots of people if you make the noodles in
advance and dry them--not what we normally do--but you would have to
be careful about scorching the bottom. The andalusian lentil dish
would work for large numbers. Elizabeth suggests Jazariya as another
stew type thing that could be done as a large pot. She also suggests
"Meat Roasted Over Coals"--we haven't done it over the fire, but it
ought to work fine.

My system for large amounts of rice is to bring the water to a boil,
put in the rice, bring it back to a boil stirring as necessary, then
cover and remove from the heat--with a big pot it will cook itself
from that point. I don't think I have ever done it over a fire, but
it ought to work.

For nibbles, you could make up Barmakiya in advance. And you could
bring hais, hulwa, khushkananaj and the like as sweets.

>Merhaba,
>
>I would ask the aid of the assembled for resources on cooking in a
>period manner for camping.  I'm contemplating cooking for about 50-75
>people at a site that lacks modern facilities, so the idea of doing
>this in as period a style as I can manage intrigues me.
>My focus would be "Middle Eastern" period foods, and mostly snack-type
>stuff on top of this (I have the Miscellany, as well as some Ottoman
>cooking resources) but I'm not tied solely to that theme.  Any
>resources (books! books! books!), or advice, the assembled can give
>would be of help, and greatly appreciated.
>
>Sukran,
>

>----asim

David Friedman
www.daviddfriedman.com