[Sca-cooks] camera obscura

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Fri Oct 21 15:46:32 PDT 2005

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Serena mentioned:
>
>> I have been doing research on the Camera Obscura which led me to
>> peruse the text "Natural Magick" by Giambattista della Porta.
>

> I have a small amount of info about camera obscura in this
> Florilegium file in the UNCATALOGED section:
> p-cameras-msg     (14K)  7/30/98    Notes on period camera obscura.
> http://www.florilegium.org/files/UNCAT/p-cameras-msg.html
>
> Perhaps there is something in there which might be of use to you in
> this research. If you end up writing up your research as an article
> or as an A&S entry, I'd love to consider it for the Florilegium. Or
> even any bibliographic notes or quick message type comments that you
> might want to see added to this message file.
>
> Thanks,
>   Stefan
> --------
>    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
> StefanliRous at austin.rr.com

I don't remember further information but, when I visited Edinburgh some
years back, there was a building that had a room in it that had
historically functioned as a camera obscura.  Didn't have the time to
get to see it, but the idea of a room-size camera was a little
mind-boggling.  Then I remembered that, IIRC, the Italian word for room
is "camera"...or is it Latin?  So it makes sense that these things were
an actual room.

Kiri