[Sca-cooks] Period Cooking Outdoors

ranvaig at columbus.rr.com ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Fri Oct 21 18:12:48 PDT 2005

I cook a  9th c Hiberno-Viking feast for 30+ people with no modern
facilities.  We have water at a tap a block away, two braziers/above
ground firepits (no fire on the grass), two tables, a small clay
oven,   ice chests, an assortment of hand forged steel and cast iron
pots, wooden and metal bowls, and other kitchen stuff.  Ice and
bottled water is available on site too.

This is living history in the middle of an Irish festival, surrounded
by people, and the real point is demonstrating period cooking.  I try
hard to keep modern things out of the kitchen, but we don't have the
budget to have everything perfect, so we use some modern but not too
obtrusive things. There are no recipes from this time, so all are my
best guess, based on foods known to be used here/now. and later
recipes

I've found the small braziers to be inadequate, they just don't build
up coals you can cook with.  So we are hoping to upgrade the
facilities next year.  I'm hoping to get make some pottery too... our
setup is just too metal heavy, but I haven't found much on cooking
pots for our time.

I cook everything on site.  The pork was cooked the day before and
kept in the cooler. The butter and cheese were demos the day before.
Someone brought me fresh nettles, so we made nettle cheese, it was
finished after dark, and got a bit carmelized and was lovely.  The
duck, chicken and barley were finished an hour before serving, and
left covered in the pot.  Just before serving we cooked the oatcakes
and veggies, sliced and reheated the pork.  Things went pretty well
this year, but I had a few planned dishes that didn't happen.

Ranvaig

Last years menu was:
Braised Pork with Cormaye Sauce - pork, mead, garlic, cumin, coriander, pepper
Braised Chicken with leeks and parsley - chicken, leeks, parsley
Braised Duck with onions, thyme, and honey
Braised roots - carrots, parsnips, turnips, parsley root
Barley with hazelnuts
Oatmeal Littiu - oatmeal, milk
Cured salmon - salmon, sugar, salt, mead, dill - this was made ahead
Mustard sauce,  - mustard, mead, honey
Garlic herb sauce - garlic, sage, parsley, bread
horseradish sauce - horseradish, vinegar
Plum sauce  - plums, celery leaves, cumin, honey, wine, vinegar
Bread, Oatcakes - made on site
Nettle Cheese,Dill Cheese, and butter, made on site
Pears, plums, peaches, berries
radishes,  celtic salt,
honey - from the hive of one of our members
Mead - made on site the year before