[Sca-cooks] Boar Meat

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 26 09:59:49 PDT 2005

Bronwynmgn at aol.com wrote:
>The legendary Ras, once a member of this list (has anyone heard from him
>recently, by the way???)...

On the godecookery list occasionally. But he doesn't post often or
say much. Not like he was on this list.

>...once served and highly advertised a dish made with
>bear meat at an SCA feast.  Not too many people read that one either; Ras
>apparently had a Jewish woman come into the kitchen after eating
>feast to confirm
>what she had just then read on the menu and get peeved at him because she had
>eaten the bear meat and allowed her son to eat it, and bear is apparently a
>Bad Thing.

Not so much "A Bad Thing"... bear is not Kosher. I gather this woman
was "ingredient" Kosher, rather than "letter of the law" Kosher.

By this i mean:
- "letter of the law Kosher" would only eat red meat and fowl
slaughtered and butchered in a Kosher manner, which is usually too
expensive for an SCA feast - such a person would be unlikely to be
able to eat red meat or fowl at an SCA feast.
- "ingredient Kosher" would avoid "illegal" meats like crustaceans,
scaleless fish (e.g., shark, catfish), pig and boar, rabbits and
hares, etc., but would eat fish with scales and would eat beef, lamb,
goat (and other cloven-hoofed ruminants such as deer and bison), most
fowl, etc. even if not slaughtered and butchered in a Kosher manner.

This person either didn't read the menu or didn't believe it. She
should have been angry at herself, not Ras.
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita