[Sca-cooks] Boar Meat

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 26 10:48:00 PDT 2005

Corwyn wrote:
>I spent the night on benedryl one evening because the "Veggie stew"at a
>feast in the Outlands was made with shrimp and the servers didn't know and
>there was no posted menu. Seems the cook was somebody known as "The
>Mad Chef" who was apparently known for last second additions to dishes.
>
>Heard the story about this second hand years later, and in THAT version the
>person who had the allergic reaction (Me, one assumes) was air evaced to the
>hospital. <G>
>
>For the record, I left in a car when the swelling started and we got the
>benedryl at a pharmacy. I slept like a log in the car and in the
>crashspace and woke the next morning with no real ill effects.

I'm glad you didn't have a life-threatening situation.

My daughter is a vegetarian and has been since she was 12. When
scouting out restaurants to patronize before she comes for a visit, i
ask if they serve vegetarian dishes. I am often referred to seafood
and have a difficult time convincing people that sea creatures are
not vegetables...

Fortunately she and i have no food allergies (well, i seem to have a
mild reaction to some, but not all, artificial vanilla, but i just
get a stuffed nose).

I always post a list of ingredients at feasts i cook (usually "menus"
of dishes and ingredients for each diner), and i avoid last minute
additions. I cannot cater to every food allergy, dietary issue, or
personal preference, but i can at least make it possible for
individuals to guide themselves. Of course, that only works if one
reads the darn thing...
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita