[Sca-cooks] Using fresh pumpkin instead of canned in a recipe?

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Thu Oct 27 17:15:35 PDT 2005

Adele de Maisieres wrote:

> lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:
>
>> I recall reading - on this very list - some other Late Fall - that
>> canned pumpkin is not made of pumpkin. It's made of other red-orange
>> fleshed squash - ?butternut, ISTR...
>>
>> I think part of the issue is that the pumpkins one finds in the
>> supermarket have been bred for looks, not taste or texture. In my
>> experience supermarket pumpkins are very watery and stringy. They
>> need to be drained after cooking to remove the water, and then
>> strained to remove the fibers.
>

> I usually buy green-skinned "Crown" pupkins rather than orange-skinned
> ones.  The flesh is, as you suggest, less stringy.

I spoke with one of the farmers who comes to our local Farmers'
Market...he recommended a "sort of" pumpkin that's a pale
orange...almost tan in color.  It's shaped more like a gourd or
squash...round bottom and a fat, elongated neck.  He said that that's
the best one to use for breads, pies, etc.

Kiri