[Sca-cooks] Using fresh pumpkin instead of canned in a recipe?

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Fri Oct 28 13:26:55 PDT 2005

> I spoke with one of the farmers who comes to our local Farmers'
> Market...he recommended a "sort of" pumpkin that's a pale
> orange...almost tan in color.  It's shaped more like a gourd or
> squash...round bottom and a fat, elongated neck.  He said that that's
> the best one to use for breads, pies, etc.

Yes, in central PA they are called 'neck pumpkin' or 'neck squash'.
Much easier to deal with than regular pumpkin, but I've made pumpkin
casserole with my All Hallows pumpkin flesh and it was very good.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"'In this world, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.' Well, for
years I was smart. I recommend pleasant." - _Harvey_, by Mary Chase