[Sca-cooks] Using fresh pumpkin instead of canned in a recipe?

caointiarn caointiarn1 at juno.com
Thu Oct 27 18:03:04 PDT 2005

You need to look at the ingredients' list.  My can of Libby says: "100%
pumpkin"   It is dense, and not watery, needing a bit of "push" to get it
out of the can  -- like tomato paste.   There are other canned things out
there, that are "pie filling" that may be what is being remembered.  {I
vaguely recall such a discussion, and confirmed it the same way, by checking
what the label reads}  I like using Libby pumpkin because it makes pumpkin
available year round.

Using fresh pumpkin:  its like other fruits produced, you need to buy the
right variety for the right  reason.  IIRC there is a variety named "sugar
baby" that makes wonderful baked things.  Otherwise, cook first & figure
from there if  the pulp needs to be strained & drained.

Caointiarn

> I recall reading - on this very list - some other Late Fall - that  canned
pumpkin is not made of pumpkin. It's made of other red-orange fleshed
squash - ?butternut, ISTR...

> I think part of the issue is that the pumpkins one finds in the
supermarket have been bred for looks, not taste or texture. In my
experience supermarket pumpkins are very watery and stringy. They  need to
be drained after cooking to remove the water, and then  strained to remove
the fibers.