[Sca-cooks] Re: Katrina disaster OT

she not atamagajobu at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 2 09:25:18 PDT 2005

elaborate rumour indeed, but I believe some scare tactics were deliberately used to induce panic and rumours in order to drive prices up- I did note several stories in the paper -with quotes-about the tremendous quantities of OIL  lost in the disaster..although it was clear from the text that production time was actually meant, rather than oil, the phrase oil "production" lost never got used at all. It seemed deliberately misleading...
gisele
congratulations, Aoghann, and thanks for the links!

 From: "Lonnie D. Harvel"
Subject: [Sca-cooks] Way OT...

According to FEMA...

Yes, the pipelines are down.
No, there is no immediate shortage of fuel for the US
Yes, people panicked and caused a temporary shortage

According GEMA...
Yes, Governor Purdue of Georgia is clamping down on the price gouging.
They will prosecute. Some folks may even get refunds.
Gas stations in the Atlanta area either closed because they were trying
to avoid a long term shortage and did not want to participate in the
panic (like QT) or they were temporarily out of fuel because todays
panic buying hit at the bottom end of their refueling cycle.

>From various sources, including the BBC, gas prices will rise over the
next few weeks, probably to about $4. They are then expected to go back
down. Though the pipeline is damaged, states like Georgia get most of
their oil via shipping, not the pipeline. The Coast Guard released today
their report on their Gulf survey. This is now from memory, but, 95% of
oil rigs were shut down, 20 some odd were severely damaged or destroyed.
However, the coming rise in gas price is due the extensive damage of the
oil refinerys that convert the crude to gasoline. Since no one else
wanted them in their states, a large percentage of American refinerys
are in the poor states of Mississippi, Louisiana, and Alabama.

It is the lack of refinerys that will cause the rise in price, not a
lack of oil (whether by pipeline or tanker).

http://today.reuters.com
http://www.bbc.com
http://www.washingtonpost.com
http://www.nytimes.com

Specifically avoiding the crap on CNN.com and its counterpart in the
spin wars, FoxNews.com

Aoghann

"all men are intrinsical rascals, and I am only sorry that not being a dog I can't bite them."   Lord Byron