[Sca-cooks] Some good news about some icons: The French Quarter and Robert Asprin

kingstaste at mindspring.com kingstaste at mindspring.com
Mon Sep 5 20:49:43 PDT 2005

In a message dated 9/5/2005 10:19:22 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
talvin at frontiernet.net writes:
While at DragonCon, I had occasion to stop by Michael Longcor's table
(musician, once King of the Middle, under what SCA name I know not) and
speak with him.

He told me he had spoken with Robert Asprin (SCA: Yang the Nauseating)
on the phone, and that he was well and had been safely evacuated from
the French Quarter.  I know that someone else had reported this, but
having found a specific source who had spoken with him directly, I felt
I should pass it along.

Michael was also relieved to learn from me that Fats Domino has been
found and is fine.

So, Bob is no longer mything. (I am going to burn for that one....)

Have a good night,
Colin

    Moonwulf's his SCA name--well the first bit of it, anyway. I think I've
got lyric sheets around with the full thing, but not near the computer. I
can
*almost* pull the rest of it out of the memory banks, but not quite.
    Oh, and here's a note I got today from a friend who's on some of the SF
and con lists that I'm not on, and who knew I'd seen questions about Bob:

Bob Asprin is safe.

  This from Darlene Bolesny with permission: email dated
Friday, Sep 2 2005 7:23 pm.

  "Greetings to all.  I have spoken with Bob again and
have the following to report:

  - He is fine.  Todd Brantley (for any of you who may know
him) is also fine.  I keep forgetting to ask about Bob's
cat, Princess.  Apologies - I will try and ask him about
her when we next speak.

  - There are about 300 - 500 people left in the Quarter
and all of them are doing fine.

  - They have plenty of canned food (and manual can openers)
and they have plenty of bottled water.  Bob mentioned that
he still has 3 2-liter bottles of soda to go through before
he has to resort to water.

  - Most of the French Quarter is and has been dry all along.
The highest the water came for them, even during the height
of the storm, was up to the curbs.  The area in which Bob
lives and which also contains my condo did not even take
any wind damage - other than the two trees which fell on
either side of the "throw me somethin'" Jesus at the
Cathedral.  He said that one chimney in the Quarter had
fallen, but that was it.

  - There has been no uncontrolled looting in the Quarter,
and no roving groups of folks with guns in the Quarter.
So they are safe and they have plenty of food and water.

  - One of the most amazing things that Bob told me was that
they are still getting deliveries of cold beer at the one
and only bar in the Quarter which has remained open
(Johnny White's).  Lord only knows how they are getting it
through.

  - The police and the national guard and the military know
that they are there.  But with the situation in the rest
of the City, they are very low priority for evacuation.

  - Bob is aware that, as soon as it is practical, he should
(and will) leave.  He is aware that there is a risk of fire
and that he should be mindful of that risk.  Should fires
break out in the Quarter, he can make his way down to Harrahs,
which is the police command post.  (So he does have a plan,
should fire break out.)

  - In the meantime, they will sit tight and wait for the
authorities to come through and tell them that it is time to
leave.  The most annoying thing to Bob is that it is boring
and he can't flush his toilet. "

    Leave it to someone who came up with the idea for the Horde to come
through something like this with style! (G)

                Diana, who fondly remembers a filk a couple of months ago
where Bob was telling old tales and singing old songs...............