[Sca-cooks] The noise of modern life

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Sep 6 23:46:43 PDT 2005

Vitha commented:
> What is it with people buying perishable items when they KNOW the
> power is going to go out...

Uh, they still have barrels and barrels of stuff from the 2000 scare
and they felt they had to buy *something*? Hey, Baron Akim? Are you
still listening to this list? Have you finished off your millennium
cache, yet? :-)

> The thing I remember the most was the silence of no compressors, no
> hum of the electrical lines.  It was almost spooky.

Have you been to Pennsic? I think there have been two major power
outages during different Pennsics, and except for a few "street
lights" near the central buildings and such, it was hard to know
there was a major regional blackout going on.

I imagine though that if you were suddenly thrown back into the
Middle Ages, it might be the different sounds that you would notice
the most. Of course, I imagine the smells would be rather different
as well.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas