[Sca-cooks] acorns

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Sep 8 22:19:23 PDT 2005

Otsisto mentioned:
> (TWGoS)The TBC book reminded me that I had come across information
> that
> Millet was the main grain as wheat was hard to grow in the area.
> Also, before a certain type of oak died out in the area, acorns
> were another
> flour source. (side note: you can get a starch from acorns)
> Chestnuts was interchangeable or mixed with millet.

Acorn flour tends to be rather bitter unless it is soaked for a while
and the bitterness leached out. Acorns seem to have been more common
among the American Indians than among the Europeans, other than in
times of starvation. I have though seen some indication that some?
European acorns were not as bitter as others, and perhaps those are
from the oaks you are talking about.

For some more info on acorns, see this Florilegium file in the FOOD
section:
nuts-msg         (116K)  9/11/04    Nuts, acorns, nut flours in
medieval foods.

If anyone has some additional info about acorns being used in period,
I'd love to hear about it.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas