Horseapples (was Re: [Sca-cooks] verjuice)

Mike C. Baker / Kihe Blackeagle kihebard at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 24 17:03:42 PDT 2005

WAAAYYYY behind, but I'm gaining...

My direct personal experience is that sections of the fruit of the Bois
d'Arc tree, AKA Osage Orange, are indeed an effective *addition* to
anti-insect measures -- at least here in the DFW area.

The "trick", as it were, is to section them while still relatively fresh and
set a section in each windowsill or other potential insect entryway.
Preferably, make the distribution such that the insect would be required to
pass over the section of the seed carrier to enter.

This, in combination with a good "bombing" on the front end of the
occupation, some judicious application of diatomaceous earth, and regular
attention to the crawl space (with the type of fogger that is activated by
water) rendered a thoroughly infested domicile relatively roach free for
nearly three years.  (I had to relocate, but had just super-saturated the
external perimeter with a macerated "soup" of Osage Orange fruits about 4
months before vacating -- and we saw maybe three waterbugs [very large roach
relatives] cross that line afterward, and they *may* have flown in or
entered via the attic...)

Adieu, Amra / ttfn - Mike / Pax ... Kihe

Mike C. Baker
SCA: al-Sayyid Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra
Opinions? I'm FULL of 'em
alt. e-mail: KiheBard at hotmail.com OR MCBaker216 at cs.com
   Buy my writings!:   http://www.lulu.com/WizardsDen
   SFF&H Reviews and More!: http://www.sfwatcher.com