[Sca-cooks] Lobscouse & Spotted Dog

Christiane christianetrue at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 30 11:05:25 PDT 2005

Jeff Elder wrote:

>Ok I have been reading to much of the Aubrey Maturin Novels by Patrick
>O'Brian.
>Anyway I started looking for salt beef (found it too)
>On this website I found recipes for many kids of puddings too!
>So I thought I would share!

Selene replied:
Ah.  Well you need this book too:

Lobscouse & Spotted Dog: Which It's a Gastronomic Companion to the
Aubrey/Maturin Novels (Hardcover)
by mother/daughter O'Brian fangirls, Anne Chotzinoff Grossman and Lisa
Grossman Thomas, who went through the series with academic care seldom
seen outside of the SCA.  <grin>

I love this book. What truly impressed me was the lengths they went to to make hardtack. The dough was so tough to knead and couldn't be run through a food processor, and they had made a lot of it, so they tossed it into an extremely sturdy, lined canvas bag and ran over it back and forth with their pickup truck.

Did you see the jellied "pudding" dessert in the movie "Master and Commander"? Looked absolutely unappetizing!

I also appreciated how they showed Aubrey's ill-tempered sailor-valet-cook making Aubrey's toasted cheese in the evening. Seeing the shots of the closet of a galley and the implements being used was very cool.

Gianotta (who's not a big Russell Crowe fan, but his Capt. Jack Aubrey can take me away anytime ;-))