[Sca-cooks] OT - Katrina aftermath

Wanda Pease wandap at hevanet.com
Thu Sep 1 17:36:29 PDT 2005

I just topped off my tank at $2.71 here in Portland, OR.  The west coast has
plenty of oil.  What we don't have is Refineries.  We had one in Seattle
(maybe it is still there?) but there was a spill into a canal and some
children were killed.

The short term answer (!) is that we have to build more refineries.  The
Gulf coast is going to continue to be hammered and putting all our
gasoline/diesel makers in one basket is ludicrous.  I know that no one wants
a fueling station and refinery near them (NIMBY-ism is alive and well and
living on the Oregon coast) but it has to be done and soon.

The long term answer is to stop investing money into oil searches and start
doing basic research into other forms of energy that can be used for
transportation.  And NO, public transportation isn't the answer!  Look at
what is happening to those in the Gulf area that didn't have cars.  They are
the ones you see at the Superdome, and that you don't see dead in their
houses because they couldn't get out of town without a car (too many for
"public transportation").  Neither does it make sense outside the big metro
areas.  Biking is a nice idea for those without arthritis in the ankles and
knees or many miles between home and work.

On the food topic.  I just picked up some more Propane and butane cylinders
for my camp stove, laid in two more flats of water and plan to buy MRE's
(sorta food) in case "the Big One" hits the Oregon Coast/Portland area.
What do other people have in their Survival Bins?  I'm thinking that canning
stuff and using "Lord's Salt" might be an option.

Regina Romsey