[Sca-cooks] OT - Picking up the Pieces

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sun Sep 4 16:45:24 PDT 2005

Really?  I learned how to cook (as opposed to following recipes) while
acting as staff cook for a Boy Scout camp in Germany.  It was education by
necessity and I was fortunate enough to have a GI mentor that got me started
on out thinking kitchen problems.

Of course, I was also the crazy that carried a 70 pound pack including Dutch
oven to camp in style.  For my 16th birthday in the field, I had baked ham,
potatoes, carrots and a two layer chocolate cake.  I also taught a bunch of
my tricks to about a half dozen other Scouts who liked the idea of eating
well in the great outdoors.

You can learn to cook sumptuous repasts on Scouting trips.  It's just that
most of the leaders aren't skilled enough to teach the Scouts how to do it.

Bear